A Premier League footballer has been arrested on suspicion of child sex offenses, according to Greater Manchester Police (GMP).
The footballer was arrested on July 16 and interviewed by police before he was released on bail.
GMP said in a statement, “Officers arrested a man on Friday, July 16, 2021, on suspicion of child sex offenses. He is on police bail pending further inquiries.”
The player has been suspended by his club as the investigation continues. The club said it will assist with the inquiry.
GMP’s major incident team is leading the investigation, according to The Sun newspaper.
On Monday, Everton FC released a statement but declined to confirm whether it was the same player who had been arrested on suspicion of child sex offenses.
The statement read, “Everton can confirm it has suspended a first-team player pending a police investigation. The club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time.”
Michael Ellis QC, the attorney general, warned the public to be careful about discussing the case. He told the Guardian, “Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and everyone deserves a fair trial.”
“A misjudged tweet or post could have grave repercussions and interfere with a trial,” Ellis added. “It could mean a trial is delayed or at worst stopped because a fair trial isn’t possible – so I would caution everyone, don’t get in the way of justice being done.”
“The attorney general’s office will monitor the situation and we will review any contempt of court allegations made to us.”
GMP said that there was no sign of activity at the player’s home after he returned there from the police station on Friday night. The article was published in the Guardian.