We often look for the best and worst sunscreens for our family when summer approaches. To help you out, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) conducted a study to look out for the best and worst sunscreens available on the market.
The EWG’s study looked at around 900 sunscreens and over 500 SPF-labeled moisturizers. The group also measured important data such as UV-ray protection, toxic ingredients, and other hazards.
After analyzing those sunscreens, the group found that nearly three-quarters of sunscreens sold to customers do not work. Also, the investigators warned parents about the worst sunscreens that are especially advised for children.
Below are those 14 most dangerous sunscreens for children:
- Banana Boat Kids Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 100
- Banana Boat Kids Sunscreen Lotion SPF 100
- Coppertone Foaming Lotion Sunscreen Kids Wacky Foam SPF 70
- Coppertone Sunscreen Continuous Spray Kids SPF 70
- Coppertone Sunscreen Lotion Kids SPF 70
- Coppertone Sunscreen Lotion Water Babies SPF 70+
- Coppertone Sunscreen Stick Kids SPF 55
- Coppertone Sunscreen Stick Water Babies SPF 55
- Coppertone Sunscreen Water Babies Foaming Lotion SPF 70
- CVS Health Children’s Sunstick Sunscreen SPF 55
- Equate Baby Sunscreen Lotion SPF 70
- Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen SPF 60+
- Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Sunscreen Spray SPF 70+
- Up & Up Kids Sunscreen Sticks SPF 55
The group also found that nearly half of the sunscreens do not meet the sun protection factor (SPF) listed on their labels.
Since 2007, the EWG has exposed many sunscreen products that are sold in the United States, which were not as safe and effective as they should be. In fact, the group informed consumers about safer and more effective choices. At the same time, the group has urged the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to update and improve sunscreen regulations. It has requested the FDA to set stricter guidelines to protect public health. And the good news is the FDA has finally been proposing major changes that address EWG’s concerns, making all sunscreens safer and effective.