On Wednesday, Michigan became the first state to order a ban on the sale of flavored e-cigarettes.
Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced Tuesday that the state bans the sale of flavored e-cigarettes after the health officials found that vaping has been a growing concern. The governor said the ban has been announced in order to protect younger people from serious effects of vaping.
Flavored e-cigarettes have been the bigger concern of regulatory bodies and lawmakers because more and more teens tend to use flavored products. In fact, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) declared vaping as an epidemic in the United States, citing studies showing flavored e-cigarettes contains potentially harmful chemicals and metals.
Speaking to the Washington Post, Whitmer said, “My number one priority is keeping our kids safe and protecting the health of the people of Michigan.”
She explained companies use sweet flavors in e-cigarettes, such as fruit loops and bubble gum, to attract young people, which have potential health risks.
According to the state officials, the ban will last for around six months, which can be renewed. The officials also said that a permanent ban would be announced on the sale of flavored e-cigarettes in the near future.
The ban covers all e-cigarette flavors, including menthol and mint. Last year, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced the prohibition of the sale of most flavored e-cigarettes in locations with more people under 18 years. However, the FDA guidelines still allow mint and menthol flavors to be sold in stores. The CDC issued an advisory last week that encouraged young people not to use e-cigarettes. It said, “Regardless of the ongoing investigation, e-cigarette products should not be used by youth, young adults, pregnant women, as well as adults who do not currently use tobacco products.”