Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for the COVID-19, according to Portugal’s soccer federation. He is now in isolation.
Testing revealed that Ronaldo was the only player on the team to test positive. The federation said, “He is doing well, without symptoms, and in isolation.”
Last week, Ronaldo played in a friendly match against Spain. On Sunday, he played the Nations League match against France. No players from the other two teams have tested positive for coronavirus.
On Monday, the 35-year-old soccer star posted a photo of himself on Instagram dining with his teammates, captioning, “United on and off the field.”
According to ESPN, two other Portugal players, Jose Fonte and Anthony Lopes, also tested positive for COVID-19 last week.
Earlier this year, Juventus players, Daniele Rugani, Blaise Matuidi, Paulo Dybala, and the team doctor were found to be positive for the virus.
Ronaldo will sit out of Portugal’s UEFA Nations League game against Sweden on Wednesday.
Lamberto Zauli, the coach of the Juventus FC under 23 reserve team, also tested positive for COVID-19, the club said Tuesday, promoting the reserve team to go into isolation.
Juventus FC said, “The club is in constant contact with the competent health authorities.”
Ronaldo is not the only football star who recently tested positive for the coronavirus. Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba and Brazilian star Neymar were also tested positive.
On Monday, Peru’s soccer federation said two of its players will not play in a qualifier against Brazil on Tuesday after testing positive. Major League Soccer, the United States’ highest level soccer league, has postponed the next three Colorado Rapids games after the team found a few cases of COVID-19.