Luke Zocchi, Chris Hemsworth’s trainer and friend, says, “In the past year, Chris has focused on functional moves with bodyweight and weighted exercises.”
He also says, “He has reduced his gym time by cutting out rest periods. It’s surprising how challenging functional exercises can be, even without heavyweights. He now moves better in everyday life and has improved his core strength.”
Here’s the function fitness workout regimen for great mobility and flexibility worthy of a mighty Thor.
Bear Crawl – 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off for 2 minutes
- You need to assume a pushup position with knees bent at 90-degree angles and then underneath your hips. Make sure your knees are elevated. Now, brace your abs as if you are getting punched in your gut without allowing your lower back to rise.
- Hold the contraction for the entire time; this is your starting position.
- Now, walk your right hand and left foot forward. Take a little pause and then return to your starting position.
- Next, walk your left hand and right foot forward and then return to your starting position.
Sit Through – 10 reps each side
- From a bear crawl position, lift your right arm and left leg, and then rotate to your right, pivoting on your right foot.
- Your left leg moves under you, extend it straight on the floor. Now you should be sitting.
- Now, reverse the movement to your starting position and do it alternatively.
Bodyweight Squat – 20 reps
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Sit back into a squat, pause and push up keeping some weight on your heels.
Dumbbell Reverse Lunge and Curl – 10 reps each side
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell in both the hands.
- Now, step back with your left foot about one and a half times of your normal stride, land with the ball of that foot on the ground with your heel up.
- Next, lower your back leg straight down until it grazes close to the ground, making a 90-degree angle with the front leg.
- Push through the heel to the front leg to return to standing, bring your right foot back in line with your left.
- Now, repeat on the left side with another two curls.
Dumbbell Push-up and Row – 10 reps each side
- Get into a pushup position with hands on the handles of two dumbbells.
- Drop into a pushup and push upwards.
- Row the right dumbbell up to your abs and then return to the start position.
- Repeat with the left dumbbell.
Dumbbell Burpee Curl and Press – 10 reps
- Take a light dumbbell in both hands. From the standing position, squat down and place your dumbbells on the floor.
- Kick your feet back as far as you can while keeping your arms extended.
- Once your feet land, jump them back in towards your hands, and then jump up into the air.
- Upon landing, perform a bicep curl on both arms.
- Now, land and immediately squat down.